During the past three decades, the rise of adult chronic medical conditions has exploded. Today, one in four adults and three in four seniors have more than one chronic medical condition. The emerging trend is that chronic illnesses will now account for 75% of all deaths world-wide. Another growing trend is that more and more people distrust pharmaceutical medications and their toxic side effects. The emergence of both trends, and the fact that chronic illnesses are largely preventable, has accelerated the mass appeal of Functional Medicine. Unlike the conventional medicine disease-focused treatment model that medicates to suppress symptoms with a preference for pharmaceuticals and surgical procedures, Functional Medicine is an evidence-based, biological systems approach to health care focused on the root causes of illness because total healing and health restoration is only possible when the root causes of illness are precisely identified and treated.
NOTE: Commercial healthcare insurance carriers and their health plans only recognize the traditional or conventional fee for service health care model based on acute illness, episodic care, pharmaceutical drugs, and surgical procedures. They do not recognize Functional Medicine and its emphasis on root cause analysis and preventative health care. Furthermore, fee for service medicine is based on the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) taxonomy for evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment. ICD-based diagnosis and procedure billing codes are limited in scope, but are used exclusively by commercial healthcare insurance health plans to determine fee for service payments to health care providers for member patient health care services rendered. Unfortunately, this translates to commercial healthcare insurance health plans compensating fee for service health care providers for minimal units of patient appointment time, typically 15-20 minutes of "allowed" time. These imposed restrictions set by commercial healthcare insurance carriers and their health plans, on both fee for service health care practice scope and patient appointment time, unfortunately incentivizes the highest volume rather than the high quality of health care delivery.
Potomac Health & Wellness (PHW) strives to best serve those whom truly value their health and wellness as their top priority. Most of our patients come to us for any of the following reasons:
- No other health care provider(s) can figure out why s/he is still not feeling well or getting better
- S/he does not feel well or get better after conventional medicine treatment
- S/he is not satisfied with the impersonal, rushed, conventional health care patient experience
- S/he wants to embrace their health and wellness in the most natural and holistic way
- S/he wants to rely less (or quit) the need for pharmaceutical medications and their undesired side effects
- S/he is willing to make the necessary wholesome diet and lifestyle changes to support their optimal health and lifelong wellness
- S/he is healthy, but seeks to optimize their energy level, exercise and workout recovery, sleep, diet, etc.
As a Functional Medicine practice, we specialize in the inter-related, integrated core body systems and how their functions can be naturally restored to further prevent, even reverse, many chronic illnesses. Our comprehensive health care approach is different than traditional health care for the following reasons:
- We harmonize holistic, functional, integrative, natural, performance, complementary, restorative, alternative, lifestyle, and allopathic medicine elements rather than a cookie cutter, pharmaceutical-driven approach.
- We orchestrate science, nature, and the most current data-driven research with action.
- We provide advanced, state-of-the-art testing and root cause analysis versus conventional disease-focused evaluation and basic standard of care protocols.
- We investigate a spectrum of selective health factors, including genetics, immunity, gut health, metabolic pathways, toxins, and parasites. We meticulously identify any hidden, underlying, stealth health issues or medical conditions to precisely target and treat.
- We perform personalized nutrition and lifestyle analyses to be cognizant of the big picture of patient health because poor diet and toxic, stressful lifestyles frequently lead to chronic illnesses and diseases.
- We partner with highly specialized medical labs and testing facilities to accurately identify underlying inflammation, oxidative stress, and impaired immunity bio-markers.
- We closely coordinate with other patient health care providers for a 360 degree health care perspective.
- We offer expanded treatment options versus basic standard of care treatment. We personalize bio-medical treatments, through a wide range of conventional and integrative modalities, including detoxification, lifestyle management, and nutritional therapy through diet optimization and premium medical-grade nutraceutical supplements specific to your unique composition, needs, and health conditions.
- We continuously pursue new, cutting-edge natural treatments to reduce, even eliminate, the need for pharmaceutical medications and surgery altogether.
- We guide our patients every step of the way to make the necessary wholesome diet and holistic lifestyle changes to promote natural balance restoration and total health revitalization for lasting wellness.
Holistically Focused. Relationship-Based.
Dedication. Compassion. Trust. Partnership. Innovation. These are our core health care practice values. PHW distinguishes ourselves as a relationship-based, holistic health care practice, and we truly value the special connection with our patients. We advocate total balance physically, emotionally, and socially to experience life to its fullest - the highest quality of life. We value open communication and transparency to earn each patient's personal comfort, trust, and confidence for engaging provider-patient relationships. We educate and guide our patients, as much as possible, every step of the way on their natural balance, healing, and health restoration journey towards lifelong wellness. We offer our patients the following premium amenities:
- We do not restrict the scope of our health care practice.
- As a independent practice, we serve as your best patient health care advocate.
- Patients always get seen by our distinguished Board-Certified Internist and Functional Medicine specialist - above and beyond conventional standard of care specialists. One doctor. One office. One location.
- We do not restrict patient appointment time. We offer no wait, no rush in-person office appointments and convenient Telehealth virtual visits.
- We take all the time necessary to get to know you and your health concerns - and to earn your comfort, confidence, and trust.
- We offer convenient 24/7 after hours provider and office staff access through our intuitive patient portal.
- We offer our patient-discounted, premium medical-grade supplements dispensary for convenient online ordering.
- We offer reasonable self payment fees for the most advanced, comprehensive, and personalized health care within your reach. Our self pay fees typically cost less, on a annual basis, than most concierge medicine practices and online health care services providers because we don't charge our patients recurring concierge practice membership fees or subscription fees.
- We are a in-network provider with Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO health plans, and a certified, out of network TriCare provider. TriCare and most non-participating healthcare plans typically reimburse their members up to 100% for PHW patient self payments.
- We accept Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Spending Account (HSA) funded payments only if pre-approved by your benefits or health plan administrator. FSA and HSA funds are also typically used to pay for specialty testing and nutraceutical supplements that may not be covered by health care plans.
NOTE: Telehealth virtual visits are available to our established patients only. All new patient initial appointments are in-person at our McLean, VA (US) office. Virtual visits integrate HIPAA secure digital telecommunications technology to provide real-time, online patient health care through digital audio-video conferencing, audio-text messaging using mobile phones, tablets, and desktop computers.
PHW is a compelling health care alternative for your comprehensive health care needs. Let's embrace your well-being. Together. Discover unparalleled precision health care and the premier patient experience. New patients welcome. By appointment only.